Everyone knows that spring, summer and fall bring great things to see and do here in Caledonia and the beautiful Bellevue Valley of Southeast Missouri; but did you know winter is a great time to visit us, too? We thought you might want to know about some of the great activities available to visitors during the winter here in our beautiful area.
Here is the Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast’s top five list of winter weekend getaway activities near Caledonia, MO:
- Winter hiking: Mild winter days make for crowd-free hiking and touring in some of Southeast MO’s greatest outdoor spots including Elephant Rocks State Park, Johnson’s Shut Ins, Hughes Mountain and Buford Mountain. Plus, with most of the leaves off the trees, the bird-watching is absolutely incredible!
- The Celebration of CCC Company 1743 at Washington State Park on February 18th and 19th promises to be incredible! Guided bus tours will feature the work of CCC Company 1743, an African American Civilian Conservation Corps Company whose work can be seen throughout the park. Washington State Park interpretive staff will lead these guided tours and discuss the cultural heritage of Company 1743 and their craftsmanship. See more info here.
- Antiquing: What would a weekend getaway in Southeast MO be without some stops to pick up a few antiques? Caledonia and her surrounding areas are home to some of the best independently owned and operated, local antique shops in the state! Some of our can’t miss antique shops include Caledonia’s famous Old Village Mercantile, Crabapple Cabin, Pattie’s Pickin’s, Miss Molly’s, My Old Sister Bill’s, C&C Collectibles, Farmhouse 1807; and in nearby Potosi there is Reed’s Relics and Fifth Generation Antiques. Tour them all for a fun day of unique and vintage shopping!
- Wine and Beer tasting: The spirits don’t stop flowing just because it’s winter! Great local wineries and breweries such as Edg-Clif Farms and Vineyard, Deslogetown Brewery, and St. Francois Vineyard are all just a short drive from the Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast. Our area is always seeing new wineries and breweries opening; be sure to ask what new and favorite tasting rooms we might suggest!
- A Gourmet Dinner and Luxury Stay at the Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast! Of course, no weekend getaway to Caledonia would be complete without a stay with us here at the Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast. In addition to our spectacular rooms, full chef-prepared breakfasts and fascinating history, guests may choose to add an amazing three course gourmet meal prepared by owner/innkeeper Jon, an executive chef for 25 years. Meals feature seasonal, local ingredients professionally prepared and served in the comfort of our dining room or library. Also, we now have wine and beer available for purchase, including many of our local favorites.
Winter is the perfect time for a fun-filled weekend getaway here in Caledonia at the Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast! It’s as easy as booking online right from our website (click “Check Availability” or “Book It” above), or giving us a call so we might put together the perfect weekend getaway for you! Cheers, and Happy Winter!